Pages

Sunday 18 April 2010

The birth of an Artist - Creating Seren Rhys

To begin to create an artist I thought it would be useful to create a blog persona for her and her art.

 http://serenrhys.blogspot.com/2010/04/httpwww_18.html

I thought it would be important to develop some background detail regarding her life as well as imply her role in British art and the rise of digital photography during the last twenty years.

From my research it was important that she studied at Goldsmiths since many of the YBAs studied at this London Art school. I wanted to give the character quite a bohemian upbringing and thought Ibiza an ideal setting since it has a history during the sixties and seventies of attracting artists.

The idea that Seren Rhys has spent her life in front and behind a camera I thought this would allow me to explore how women are photographed as well as examine the history of women photographers such as Diane Arbus, Sally Mann, Jesse Mann, Cindy Sherman, Nan Goldin and Corinne Day. Other artists that will need to be explore are Sophie Calle, Tracey Emin, Sam Taylor Wood.

Through this persona I will be able to explore:
  • The rise of the YBA
  • Wales and the artist
  • The impact of digital photography on the art world
  • The female gaze - representation of women by women

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers